TinyMCE

What do you use as a KTML Replacement.
Give the pros and cons of the application and where to find it.
Fred
Site Admin

TinyMCE

Post by Fred » 2010-11-05 15:25

Been doing some research on finding a replacement for KTML editor that will work in all browsers.
Requirements:
1. Cross Browser Support
2. Image Upload and manipulation capabilities
3. Affordable
4. Compatible with "my" way of doing things
5. Easy to install / integrate into my existing CMS based on interakt products.

"my" way is amongst other things the ability to use a css file in the editor that is generated by a template manager that I coded for my CMS.

Options available:
CKEditor
Downloaded and installed the basic package - Easy
Integration - Easy
Compatible with "my" way - not compatible
Image uploads capability - non existent unless you are prepared to purchase a costly plugin.

Initially the update page looked neat but I decided it is clumsy and just didn't like the way it "felt" to work with the page. Have to admit I did not spend an awful lot of time playing around with it as I was not able to use a standard css file in the css dropdown on the menu.

TinyMCE
Download and installation - easy
Integration - easy
Compatible with "my" way - very well
Image upload capability - non existed unless you are prepared to purchase a license.
BUT...
I found a very good and user-friendly alternative for file and image upload that included a basic image manipulation package from http://www.phpletter.com/. It is jquery based and easy to get to work.
Manipulation is limited to crop, resize and flip / rotate. Not as good as KTML but at least it is working. Best of all it is free.

Unfortunately TinyMCE doesn't have the nice "save as template" feature that KTML had, but I am working on a solution for that.

The overall impression of TinyMCE is that it will do want I want, is easy to mod, style and integrate.
I have not yet released it in the wild but will invite a couple of my clients to "test" it and will give feedback.

Nixtev

Re: TinyMCE

Post by Nixtev » 2012-09-01 22:41

Hi Fred, just wondering what progress you've made with image upload integration for this and if you're still using the same one?
I switched my sites to use TinyMCE quite some time back but also left an alternative KTML page update option as I've still not found anything that comes close to the image manipulation that it offers.
Having taken the plunge last year and bought TinyMCE's own MCImageManger plugin, I was most frustrated to be unable to get it working with the authentication settings and ended up giving up on it but really need to have another go at setting up an alternative again so am looking for workable suggestions.

Thanks,

Nicky

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred » 2012-09-02 09:13

Nicky,
Yes I moved on from phpletter to KCFinder. Had to many security issues and wasnt fully php5.3 compatible.

It was a mission to integrate it to use authentication like ktml but I got it working.

You can find a write-up here http://www.xms-systems.co.uk/articles_read.php?a_id=77

Nixtev

Post by Nixtev » 2012-09-02 18:43

Thanks Fred, I'll have a play about and see how that one looks.
Long term it would be nice to find something with the same functionality for image editing as we got used to with KTML that is easy to set up and secure and doesn't cost the earth but for now its just a case of making do.

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred » 2012-09-03 11:14

It is easy enough to integrate. When you done it once, simply copy and paste the relevant entries in the TinyMCE ini section.

I like the ease of use from the users point of view. Even includes drag and drop upload and multiple upload functionality.

For basic image editing I usually refer my clients to this site. http://www.online-image-editor.com/