Upgrading to mysqli in ADDT

Any tips and tricks that has to with the ADDT that doesn't fit into one of the other categories
StillWithADDT

Upgrading to mysqli in ADDT

Post by StillWithADDT » 2013-05-06 20:33

Hi All!

I'm pondering upgrading my ADDT Includes folder to use mysqli functions and to do the same with the underlying folders that insert the code when using ADDT Server behavior panel. Has anyone done this or am I on the wrong track completely.

TIA,
Brian

Fred
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading to mysqli in ADDT

Post by Fred » 2013-05-07 13:51

Hi Brian,
Yes you are on the right track... as of php 5.5 the mysql is dropped and you will only have the mysqli and pdo extensions.

I am still using the old interakt extensions. Been thinking of it myself but that is about it. Wonder how much needs to be changed.
The connection string for starters anyway because the connection and database selection is done in one string instead of connect first and then select the database.

Going to be an interesting project anyway.

StillWithADDT

Post by StillWithADDT » 2013-05-07 20:24

Hi Fred,

Hmm, 'interesting' is a good word; terrifying may be better. I plan to create a dinkly little site and change the php.ini file to use mysqli, then make bunches of comparisons and changes in the Includes folder, then look at the underlying Server Behaviors inserts so it'll work as before, then make the actual page changes. I'll likely brush up on my personal prayer routine at the same time. This is not going to be fun (for me at least).

I still can't believe no one ever picked up all this elegant code and maintained it. A wonder...

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred » 2013-05-08 09:23

LOL I hear you about the "praying skills"
Yea it is a shame it is not maintained. I suppose there wasn't much changes lately but if we going to migrate the code to mysqli...

piskie

Post by piskie » 2015-01-04 15:59

This sensible upgrade seems to have gone silent, at least in this topic.
Sooner or later, our servers will need to be upgraded to PHP v5.5 and beyond maybe forced by security issues among other things.

I have set up a cheapo server acct running PHP v5.5 with the sole intention of moving a functioning test site from a PHP v5.4 server then debugging it to work using mysqli_
Hopefully, I will end up with a functioning "includes" folder full of modified files for the functions that I frequently use.
Plus a recipe for modifying my CMS Admin scripts for Insert, Update, Delete, Upload & Resizze Images" etc etc.
A long winded fix, but just about within my capabilities possibly with a bit of knowledgeable assistance.

However, updating ADDT itself would be an absolute dream solution, but a million miles outside my capabilities.
Do any members know a capable coder that would take this on ???
Perhaps enough of us could even club together for payment.
Or am I just dreaming ????????????????

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred » 2015-01-15 09:45

I have also had the idea of hiring a freelancer to update the code at some point in time.
I really don't have the time to do it and if we can get the actual extensions updated even better.

It will have to be a dual project because lots op people still used Interakt as well.

piskie

Post by piskie » 2015-01-15 10:39

Yes Fred, a freelancer or small coding company could provide a cost effective solution.
Alternatively, it is likely that such a company is open to temptation (for a per user fee) to code a complete DW Extension replacing ADDT.
In which case what do you think a typical user would be willing to pay ??
Myself, I would jump at such an extension were it priced somewhere say between $50 and $100.

What do you think ???

FlyOTW

Post by FlyOTW » 2015-01-16 20:41

That would be great!

piskie

Post by piskie » 2015-01-17 00:02

How many do you think would be intrested within that price range ???

FlyOTW

Post by FlyOTW » 2015-01-17 00:08

Honestly I don't think you would a reasonable answer to that question.