Upgrading to mysqli in ADDT

Any tips and tricks that has to with the ADDT that doesn't fit into one of the other categories
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading to mysqli in ADDT

Post by Fred » 2015-01-17 16:39

The only way I can see it work is to get a group together that is committed to using the extensions. Both Interakt and ATTD.
Get the job on a freelance site, get bids and club together to get the job done.

Once everything is working make the upgrade available at a reasonable price.

piskie

Post by piskie » 2015-01-17 18:07

I know a coding company that is working on a DW Extension that touches on some of ADDT functionality.
They are developing it for their own specific requirements.
They may be tempted to "Complete the Job" if they thought there was sufficient chance of recouping the outlay.
To tempt them it would need some estimate of potential take-up so they could do their been counting. That's why I asked for a guestimate of what you thought the take-up would be at the $50 to $100 price window for an ADDT replacement.

Incidentally, what are the main reasons that Interakt is still used and why it would need to be part of the project ???
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Interakt set became superceded by ADDT.

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred » 2015-01-18 10:43

As far as I know the ADDT was a compatibility upgrade by Adobe to make MXKollektion work on CS3.
I do have some nagging feeling that some of the MXKollektion functionality was dropped in the process.

Based on activation requests I know there are still a lot of people using DW2004 and DW8, hence the requirement for MXKollektion.

piskie

Post by piskie » 2015-01-18 14:30

Mmmmmmmmmmm
I think the dualing of MXKolektion as well as the ADDt extension holes the project below the waterline.

The costings are marginal at best with just ADDt so if it has to be both, then it will never get off the ground. The the developer that I have in mind would no longer be interested in exploring the concept and would confine the capability of their extension purely to fit thier in house requirements.

energylevels2012

Post by energylevels2012 » 2015-02-03 02:49

We tried to use DW CS4/ADDT several years ago and had to switch back to using DW8/MX Kollection as we had too many crashes and freezes in CS4 and it was a nightmare - there are minor edits to a few of the includes files in ADDT from what i could see ....

Surely there must be a big market for an ADDT/MX Kollection replacement none of the major extension developers have succeeded in developing a worthy replacement, somebody could clean up if they developed a worthy product.

piskie

Post by piskie » 2015-02-03 10:00

Yes, that's what I thought.
I know a coding company that is working on a DW Extension that has a few of the Functions of ADDT. It is being coded for their own internal use to work with Dw CS4 onwards I think.
Now if enough people wanted a more fully functioning Extension that replaced ADDT and were willing to buy it, say in the $50 to $100 range, what would be the size of the market ?????????
If it's a decent return on their considerable resourses that this would take, I think they could be talked into going almost the whole hog.

That's a similar question that I previously asked.
That however hit the hurdle of many requiring DW MX and Interakt Collection compatibility which kills it off stone dead.
If I could get a feel for the take up numbers, I would talk to the Coders before it's too late for them to change there tack. Once they get down the road on their specific Extension, it would be impractical to change requirements.

energylevels2012

Post by energylevels2012 » 2015-02-13 18:37

There's a post on the adobe forums from someone claiming to have modified PHAKT AND MX KOLLECTION 3.7.1 to develop MySQLi code in Dreamweaver 8 - Its news to me, I never used PHAKT so I've no idea how genuine it is ....