Run ADDT in CS5.5 Project

Any tips and tricks that has to with the ADDT that doesn't fit into one of the other categories
bearlovepr

Run ADDT in CS5.5 Project

Post by bearlovepr » 2012-03-24 13:31

Hi guys, as my fist post I decided to try a new approach to the problem of not having an updated version of ADDT for CS5.* I’m not a programmer, just a normal user, so anybody that can help me out with this will be most welcome.
My first try:

When I started using extensions with Dreamweaver wan in “Ultra DEV” I found a couple of nice one, but when version MX came to be they did not install with the extension manager, and because this ones where free there were no update from the user. At that moment, had a client and needed some of those extensions to work. After been frustrated I decided to search where those extension where install on my UltraDev Ver and copy them to the MX Ver. To my surprise they work perfectly.
For this what I did was Copy the Configuration folder of the old Dreamweaver to the new. I started a Backup before any try, didn’t want to lose any application or reinstall it.
In the CS5.5 experiment whet I did was copy all copy the configuration folder from CS4 Ver in to CS5

The location is in windows 7:
For the Cs5.5:
C:\Users\[activeruser]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS5.5\en_US
For the CS4:
C:\Users\[activeruser]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\en_US

To my surprise every single extension for other companies started working perfectly. :D
From Webassit to DMXZone worked without problems, now the ADDT started working like 25% of the features. :cry: Other just tells me there are missing files and have to reinstall the extension. I’m looking for those missing files. :ugeek:
So if anybody what to give it a try, back up your original configuration folders for each application and try it, if you find anything else post it, maybe we can find a workaround the dilemma of not having an update of the extensions we love.

jlig

Re: Run ADDT in CS5.5 Project

Post by jlig » 2012-04-20 21:48

I agree it would be nice to still have access to the ADDT Toolbar in CS5.. worth experimenting with for convenience sake..
But I continue to get excellent mileage out of ADDT by working the following way: (similar to Gunter's advice:http://forums.adobe.com/thread/620510)

- I start a new application in DW CS4, adding in ADDT functionality if needed
- I then set up/open the same site in CS5 and add in jquery mobile functionality as needed
- I make some of my ADDT changes in CS5, by editing ADDT functions in code view
- If I need the ADDT wizards, I go back to CS4 and add them in the easy way!

Some of my experiences are:
- Occasionally I have to change the order of the code snippets that ADDT adds in..
- for example, move the code blocks to the top of the page, or further down, etc

- I can stay in CS5 longer by just copying a portion of ADDT code, past it where I need it, and change the field values/properties as needed
- For example, to add a new field to a form without using the ADDT Wizard, I just duplicate an entry under "// Add columns", change the values to reflect the new database field, add then just create the form field text box/label..

Overall, ADDT is still very useful to me, and I plan to continue to integrate it with current DW CS5, HTML5, CSS3, and jquery mobile..

piskie

Post by piskie » 2012-04-23 14:42

That is a very interesting approach jlig.

I think I will adopt that work-flow model myself. So you can help me a bit here by offering some clarification.
Are there any problems running CS4 and CS5.x simultaneously on a Windows XP or Windows 7 whichever you were using.

Any tips and Forewarning would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

jlig

Post by jlig » 2012-04-23 15:09

None at all.. you just can't run them at the same time..
- CS5.5 has good live view & code testing & troubleshooting
- If I'm in CS4, I just open up the pages in Chrome, and use it's built-in Developer Tools to test, and live view, troubleshoot, etc.
- It would be nice if the DW CS5.5 jquery mobile menu was available for CS4.. since it is not, I just copy & paste jquery mobile code in..

- Integrating SPRY menus, collapsible panels, etc with ADDT works well, you just have to make sure to insert the SPRY content in the right places in ADDT code.
- Integrating jquery mobile headers, footers, content divs inside ADDT creates a few issues, like SUBMIT buttons that won't fire properly, or page redirect & displays.
- The solution there is to disable jquery mobiles AJAX intercepts, so that the links are not affected.. (I still have a few weird issues there)

Since I use ColdFusion exclusively, with MySQL 5.5 on the back-end, almost all of WebAssist is of no value.
Overall, I'm not opposed to just hard-coding by hand, but it just doesn't make sense to me to constantly have to rethink an "Insert Form, Update Form, etc"..
I just want to be able to quickly create a new project, lay out the back-end, and then just run a few wizards to build the front-end.. ADDT still does that nicely.

The Server behaviors are light, intuitive, integrated, and always work the way I want them to.. and now with the jquery mobile framework, my pages can now function in the HTML5 world with all of it's enhanced visual looks and functionality..

piskie

Post by piskie » 2012-04-23 16:48

Thanks for that reassuring info jlig
That means I can move forward and take advantage of CS5.5 while still retaining ADDT.