Working with "Selected Check-Boxes" on Main List

Any tips and tricks that has to with the ADDT that doesn't fit into one of the other categories
jlig

Working with "Selected Check-Boxes" on Main List

Post by jlig » 2011-04-08 16:11

Anyone have some guidelines on working with the "Check-Boxes" on the Main page? (how to refernce them, or the record they represent)

Here are some things I'm trying to do and not having any luck:
- After the Main page opens up, the user selects (checks the box) of 5 records.
- I need to be able to "reference" the address data fields from those 5 records to be used on the next page in a Google Map..
- How do I add my own "Custom Submit Button" (similar to the Edit button) at the top of page, to open up another page of my own making?

I basically just want to use the Nextensio main page for "Viewing, Sorting, Searching, Drilling down, etc" and once the correct records are displayed or Checked, I then access their field data with the click of a button.. via my own queries & pages..

Thanks,
ja

jlig

Re: Working with "Selected Check-Boxes" on Main List

Post by jlig » 2011-04-08 22:37

Thanks to Gunters post in the old forums, part of this issue has been resolved:
- Here is the link: http://www.interaktonline.com/Products/ ... threaded=F
- Here Gunter shows how to add a 2nd or 3rd Edit Button, that works just like the original, but can be linked to my own Detail pages..
-------------------------------------------------------------------
this was actually an idea I already had in mind for quite some time for my own purposes -- and thanks to you I finally found an excuse for crawling through the code and find something decent ;-)

I now changed this strategy to something more "generic" that´s also somewhat easier to implement :: if you copy/paste this slightly modified function version...

// additional function to enable links to secondary forms in the list
function Secondary_Edit_Form(elem, page_url) {
var form = utility.dom.getParentByTagName(elem, 'FORM');
this.page_url = page_url; // that´s the "variable link" - part
nxt_list_edit_link_base(form, page_url);
}

...to the file "includes/nxt/scripts/list.js" directly, you´ll have some more benefits:

1. you won´t need to add it to each of your list pages
2. you´ll have one reusable function for many more secondary edit forms !

In this case the link - syntax will be slightly changed, but as you can see, you now can declare the link target within the "onclick" - part itself:

<a class="KT_edit_op_link" href="#" onclick="Secondary_Edit_Form(this,'form2.php'); return false;">2nd form</a> &nbsp; <a class="KT_edit_op_link" href="#" onclick="Secondary_Edit_Form(this,'form3.php'); return false;">3rd form</a>

I find the real-life benefits of this approach pretty great in general :: not just because you now can link to different edit forms containing different sets of to-be-edited data (what actually saves you from having to develop several list pages !), but also because this allows you to e.g. show/hide those links based on e.g. user permissions, and this is something I wanted to get myself for a long time, and now it´s here ;-)

If I were InterAkt, I´d actually add this function to the "list.js" file by default, because it adds some flexibility to the whole Nextensio system -- but I´m not Interakt, LOL ;-)

Günter

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred » 2011-04-14 09:48

Would you mind doing an article on the main website about this?

jlig

Post by jlig » 2011-04-26 20:32

will do.. is a PDF document ok?

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred » 2011-04-28 10:28

Please log register and post it on the main website as an article.
That way it is easy to search and maintain if things goes bottoms up at some point in time with something in the code.