Internet Explorer and anchor links

spike21

Internet Explorer and anchor links

Post by spike21 » 2010-10-21 02:00

Hi all,

There was a problem with IE and inserting anchor links in a KTML document. Basically IE adds the name of the editing script on to the anchor:

e.g. We're adding a link to #people

IE changes this to edit#people because we're on the edit page of our app. If you just had plain php scripts or something it'd probably read edit.php#people.

IE is trying to make the anchor specific to the page in its edit context rather than it's final public context.

There are plenty of threads on the KTML forums about this but no solutions. Just wondering if anyone knows of one?

Cheers,

Brendon

Fred
Site Admin

Re: Internet Explorer and anchor links

Post by Fred » 2010-10-21 10:33

Hi spike,
Never even realised it was happening. Have trained all my clients to use FF. :P
But you can edit the anchor manually after inserting, i.e. in the properties panel.
You are going to be working in the properties panel anyway to add the link title.

So personally I don't think it is a big deal.
It forces the client to take note of what they are doing and while they are there, to add the necessary title tag that so many people are leaving out.

But yea, in the end it is a bug...

spike21

Post by spike21 » 2010-10-21 23:29

Ah yes, you're correct, but the caveat here is that the links get changed again on page save. So essentially the only way around it is to put the full path to the page in the address also, which stops the re-writing. Very strange :)

Cheers,

Brendon

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred » 2010-11-14 20:46

Hi Spike,
I have decided to drop KTML in favour of tinymce.
Easy to integrate and does almost (99,99%) of what I want it to do and have a lot of additional functionality that seems to work just fine in FF 4BETA, Chrome, IE8, Opera, Flock

Busy integrating it into my CMS now.