PHAkt Activation (for a PHP 7 project)

dboy321

PHAkt Activation (for a PHP 7 project)

Post by dboy321 » 2019-09-04 06:01

Hi there,

Could anyone help me with a PHAkt 3.7.1 activation. I had previously working on a MX Kollection 3.7.1, which I have up and running with a reinstalled version of Dreamweaver 8.02 but would like to explore the ADOdb / PHAkt 3.7.1 / MySqli and PHP 7+ approaches that have been mentioned on the site. I have 2 copies of PHAkt (one downloaded from here and one from a long long time ago). If I do manage to get the mentioned combination working, I would be happy to post a step by step basis on setup. In particular, I am looking into the stages of getting and old PHP 5 site that used MX Kollection, working on PHP 7. All the best. Denis.

dboy321

Re: PHAkt Activation (for a PHP 7 project)

Post by dboy321 » 2019-09-05 09:03

Managed to get everything up and running regarding ADOdb MySQLi server behaviour (with the use of PHAkt 3.7.1), MX Kollection 3.7.1, Updated ADOdb files (needed to make one or 2 minor changes here namely changing "& new" to "new", which is not used in PHP 7+, uploading the "includes" folder and so on. I am keeping notes and once I am happy that everything is working fine, I will be giving detailed instructions to those who would like to update their existing sites... and those developing new sites. The latter is easier. However, if you have a copy of your old site... and your SQL Select statements, cloning a copy of your site to a different folder is recommended. While working on older files, some Mysql commands slipped the net however it is a relatively straight forward process and I will go into this more once I have everything working smoothly.

I have to stress that what I am working on does not use all the full MX Kollection functionality. I am using a login page with sessions, master detailed lists, forms, insert, update, delete, many to many database queries... and some of the SQL queries I am running are quite complicated... but saying that my first few tests have been quite positive.

I will spend a little more time on the login section and the use of "filters" on list pages as my first few tests require a little more work.

I am sure there are a lot of people out there that are panicking as to what to do when PHP 5.6 is going to be a compulsory shift to PHP 7+. I had briefly considered changing my hosting provider (as I run a few different sites) to run one particular site that used MX Kollection 3.7.1 with PHP 5.6 while giving me PHP 7 use on others. There are a few that do this but the majority (for example Godaddy) will offer you one or the other... but not both (on shared hosting). Anyway, the test that I have being running have worked on PHP 5.6 (with MySqli enabled), 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3.

So there is hope. You would be amazed at the number of sites that are not working due people not being able (or knowing how) to either upgrade their "includes" folder to make sure things are working on 5.6... but the number of sites that that are now operating on a PHP 7 environment are dead... some of them... so dead they haven't realized it yet.

I came across MX Kollection, over 12 -15 years ago... by accident, used it and am now trying to work on my PHP programming skills so I can be less dependent on it. But I can't help feeling bad for those who set up sites and are now at a loss... and have nowhere to turn to and nowhere to go.

As promised, I will post step by step instructions as to how to get your site up and running again... but will require some time and patience.

For now, I cannot shut down my designated Dreamweaver Version 8.02 computer is on its last day trial of PHAkt 3.7.1, despite many attempts to reactivate it... I will keep the program open and if need be will reinstall it on another. Any help or suggestions on this matter would be appreciated.

Special thanks to @Ragni who pointed me in this direction.

All the best,

Denis.

dboy321

Post by dboy321 » 2019-09-06 18:26

Login section working well. Will check filters later on today.

Still using a "trial version" of PHAkt 3.7.1 and as a result will not be able to shut down my PC until I am finished (as the trial period has expired and do not want to closer dreamweaver 8.02 until I am finished). Would really appreciate it if someone could help. :cry:

ragni

Post by ragni » 2019-09-22 02:10

As far as PHAkt goes the trial period goes beyond 30 days by a long while. I have mine running on trial now for more than 300 days so you should be able to use it for a long time.

MXKollection is another matter if you need help with that please email me at info@igmex.com