Login only works if "Remember Me" is checked

dportela

Login only works if "Remember Me" is checked

Post by dportela » 2013-07-02 21:19

I have run into an issue where User Login only works if the "Remember Me" box is checked. Otherwise, even if the user enters in the right credentials, they are told their credentials are wrong and sent back to the login page. Has anyone else run into the same problem?

My alternatives were to either rewrite the user login part of their system from scratch, or change the field form a checkbox to

Code: Select all

<input type="hidden" name="kt_login_rememberme" id="kt_login_rememberme" value="1" />
This forces the system to behave as if the "Remember Me" box was always checked, and sidesteps the issue. But I realize there are valid reasons for the user not to want those cookies stored on certain systems. It strikes me now that this might mean MX User Login is having trouble tracking the user sessions, and thus using cookies "fixes" the problem.

Any insight into this would be appreciated. This is an inherited legacy site and the client doesn't want to pay for a rewrite of their admin login system, so I'm stuck maintaining old MX User Login code.

Fred
Site Admin

Re: Login only works if "Remember Me" is checked

Post by Fred » 2013-07-04 09:56

This is an interesting problem.
Never had the login not working.

Are you sure sessions are working on the server as expected?
Create some test page and start a session manually then save something to it and see if it returns what you expected.

Once the user is logged in (having the remember me box ticked) does the session contain the values you would expect to be there?

stephen@owd.co.nz

Post by stephen@owd.co.nz » 2013-08-11 04:14

I'm experiencing the same issue, after an update or delete transaction I'm thrown out back to the login screen, this is occurring across several sites. On one site the solution was to hard code the redirect page instead of using the nxt_back.php option (I think that's what it was called).

Just tried the remember me check box on another site I was having problems when attempting to delete records and that worked.

Did you get to the bottom of this at all? - I'd love to hear the solution.

Thanks

Stephen

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred » 2013-08-11 09:11

Hi Stephen,
What changed on the server before you start getting this error?
Give us some details on the server.

The two of you is the only cases of this that I know of.

stephen@owd.co.nz

Post by stephen@owd.co.nz » 2013-08-13 05:08

Hi Fred,

The problems occurred after a server upgrade/migration.

Server details are now:

PHP version - 5.3.19
My-Sql - 5.1.68-cll-lve
Apache - 2.2.23

upgraded from PHP v 5.1 variation

Hosting on new a brand new Nativespace.com sever configuration.

let me know If you need any more details, wondering if this is my specific server configuration or a wider issue waiting to happen?

many thanks

Stephen

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred » 2013-08-13 09:51

I was sort of hoping the server software was the issue.
At least we would have had a starting point.

My Versions
Apache: 2.2.24
PhP: 5.3.26
MySql: 5.5.32-cll

As you can see mine is newer versions and everything is working as it should.

Can you ask for assistance from your ISP if there is anything in the server logs?

stephen@owd.co.nz

Post by stephen@owd.co.nz » 2013-08-14 05:09

As a test, I set up a simple login scenario and form update from scratch and uploaded to the new server along with a new set of include files.
Everything works fine - so the problem is confined to those migrated installations, which is good news I suppose.
I'll try to replace the Include files with new sets on the affected domains and see what happens.

thanks again

Stephen