send email job and send email when update form

mrhankey

send email job and send email when update form

Post by mrhankey » 2011-01-11 13:03

hi,

i need a halp with a project i am working on. i have 2 issues.

first one is this:

i need to be able to set using php on the server a way of email reminders. i.w.
a task is due today but still not complete by tomorrow it would email a reminder to the user. would prefer if possible if the could set reminders on or off using check boxes?

the second issue i desperately need a hand with is this:

using the update form wizard i have set the send email trigger to update form which is fine and it sends through the updated form in an email. only big issue is that i need it to some how highlight in the email in bold the fields that were changed so they can clearly see in the email what was updated on the long form they have?

hope someone can help.

many thanks

Fred
Site Admin

Re: send email job and send email when update form

Post by Fred » 2011-01-12 11:35

The first issue can be solved by coding your mailing page and to call it via a cron job from the server.
I have a similar project on my to-do list for my custom CMS that needs to send out reminders for accounts that are expiring.

The on/off you are talking about can be done on a per task basis where the user creating the task simply tick a box to send reminders. Alternatively you can set it as a global setting somewhere to enable / disable it site- user-wide.

Your second task is probably a bit more difficult but I would start by comparing the $_POST['variable'] with the value in the database BEFORE the record is updated.

Take the updated variable and change the value to have the bold html tags as part of the actual value and build your email.

Something like:

Code: Select all

if ($_POST['my_variable'] != rs_recordset['my_variable']) {
$my_variable = ."<strong>".$_POST['my_variable']."</strong>";
}
You want to use a "custom" variable because you do not want to modify the value of the variable that needs to be posted to the db. You only want to modify it for the email.

Didn't spend much time thinking about it so my method may be flawed